Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We've spent the last couple of days in Delaware County, near Muncie Indiana delving into my roots some more. This headstone is in a small rural cemetery with less than 30 graves, the latest that we saw was buried in 1882. This tombstone says: WILLIAM NAYLOR DIED 23 JULY 1863 AGED 79 YRS 3MOS 3DYS. I have now found enough evidence that I am convinced this is my G G grandfather. I know my G grandfather Lemuel and he bought property less than 3/4 mile from William in 1851 after both moved to Indiana from Adams county OH. There is other evidence also but most records were burned in a courthouse fire in OH in the early 1900s. Nancy says we've looked into dead people enough for now and we're now in Illinois

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy and Flynn
    Your latest post reminded me of a time in Louisiana when a cousin and I went 'bone digging' as we called it. The old cemetary was very much in decay but we did find several graves of our ancestors. We were caught by the caretaker turning over a stone. He gave us heck for desicrating that grave. Now mind you it was broken and face down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you are going research into your ancestors, but Nancy may be right. Spending too much time with dead people can't be good for a person! ;)
    I think those old cemetaries are so neat to look at the headstones (not to sound sick!), but to see when an establishment was made and kind of how they lived (no pun intended) is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete