Sunday, June 28, 2009

For the last three days we have been in Adams County Ohio trying to find my roots. On Friday I spent time in the court house recorders room making copies of deeds of real estate that what I think was my Great great grandfathers. We know my Great grand father was born in this county but don't know for sure who his father was. All records were burned in a court house fire in 1910. I also spent time that day looking through what the public library had , which was not much. Saturday I spent the afternoon at the county historical center. I found a few tidbits but nothing earth shattering. This is some beautiful country that lies on the Ohio River and the east part of the county is in the Appalachians. we spent quite a bit of time just driving around and seeing what the country looked like, especially in the areas where my ancestors probably lived. Saterday evening they had a music concert on the court house squre as part of a car show. A local fellow did a pretty good job on some country music.

Today we started the day visiting what they call the serpent mounds - mounds built by the Indians between 1000 and 1500 AD. the mound is about 1300 feet long and some say they are related to the sun, moon and solar system. Pretty interesting . They have a tower you can climb to take pictures. This picture is taken of the head portion of the snake.






This afternoon we went to a car show in town where there were several hundred mostly local cars on display including this sunliner (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment